Christopher Columbus was facing a crisis. Damaged by storms, his ships had been beached for over six months on the island of Jamaica. The indigenous people of the island had initially welcomed Columbus and his crew, but now refused to trade him food and supplies. Faced with starvation, Columbus had only one hope for survival - his book of astronomical tables. These tables told him that a total lunar eclipse was due on the 29th of February 1504, turning the full moon red. Columbus told the island people that that night his god would show his displeasure at their treatment of Columbus by turning the moon red. When the eclipse occurred as predicted, the people agreed to continue giving Columbus and his crew the food that they needed. Their lives had been saved by having the correct data.
Success in modern business is also dependent on having access to the right data. But as the volume of data within an organisation continues to grow, so too does the effort required to achieve the right data. The key tasks required can be summarised as:
● Data Extraction: Data must be extracted from a wide variety of applications and file formats - as well as from different locations on-premises and in the cloud.
● Data Transformation: The various data inputs must be combined into a single output. This involves merging together different sets columns and mapping item codes to match the values used by the target application.
● Data Management: To ensure the integrity of the data being used for analysis and decision-making, it is vital that there is a single golden source of data.
In an ideal world, there would be a single application that Business or Finance teams would use to carry out all these tasks. In our experience, over the many of projects we have successfully completed for our customers, we realised that this was far from the case. Data extraction was usually a process performed by IT departments or DBAs over which Business or Finance had little or no ownership or control. Data transformation and management in Finance is often carried out using collections of spreadsheets - resulting in a lengthy manual process during which errors could be introduced. The proliferation of these spreadsheets meant that there was no golden source of data upon which users could rely.
Recognising the need for a single application that would provide the end users in Business or Finance with control over the entire process of data extraction, transformation and management, led us to create Qubix Cloudbridge. Cloudbridge provides a fully integrated solution that puts users in control from first extracting the data from sources, through transformation, mapping and change management until finally uploading the data for reporting and analysis. Qubix Cloudbridge can manage all of the key processes Business and Finance users will need to complete:
● Connecting to a wide range of on-premises and cloud-based data sources, including relational databases, ERP, CRM and EPM products to extract data directly from source eliminating any errors with our data extraction engine.
● Cloudbridge makes it easy for end users to create and manage mapping tables used to reformat and clean the data received from the different sources. Cloudbridge can also leverage an existing staging area to ensure consistency across various systems.
● End users can save time and eliminate errors with Cloudbridge’s hierarchy and table editors for managing metadata and data. Multi-level approvals workflows to ensure that changes are reviewed and approved by the right people ensuring accountability and auditability.
● Business users can be more efficient by replacing time-consuming manual processes with hands-free workflows. Cloudbridge lets you add a series of tasks into jobs that can be run by the built-in scheduler. Email notifications keep people informed whenever tasks are carried out.
We have seen many of our customers realise tremendous benefits from the use of Cloudbridge during implementations and also in days to day business activities. In fact, one of our customers recently highlighted how they were able to load more data, faster, without the help of it, helping them reduce reporting cycles dramatically.
Learn more about Qubix Cloudbridge here