Oracle EPM Cloud Activity Report Updates (Oct - Nov)
Now we have multiple tables added in the Activity Report which provide more information on business rules, calculation scripts, Essbase data load, data extraction, restructure, and performance of Essbase queries and these tables have set of defined columns labels to group information.
The following tables have been added:
- Top 10 Business Rules by Execution
- Top 10 Calc Script Commands by Number of Blocks Created
- Top 5 Worst Performing Calc Scripts Commands over 1 Min
- Top 10 Worst Performing Essbase Data Extraction Operations
- Top 10 Worst Performing Essbase Data Load Operations
- Top 10 Worst Performing Essbase Restructure Operations
- Top 10 Essbase Queries by Total Duration
- Top 10 Essbase Queries by Execution
Note: These new tables in the activity reports helps the administrator to understand the issues easily and also to improve the application performance, for example If a calc script is taking more than a minute to aggregate the data for one entity then he can think of fine tuning the respective rule script, so that script will complete in seconds and yields expected result.
Let us have a quick look into the Activity Report screen shots and see how these newly added tables looks like:
Top 10 Business Rules by Execution
This table gives an explanation on which are the mostly used rules in the application and if they are taking more time for the execution , administrator can think of improving the performance of those rules in order to reduce the execution time.
Top 10 Calc Script Commands by Number of Blocks Created
This tables explains how many blocks are generated for each rule, creation and processing of unneeded blocks can increase processing time and storage requirements.
Which can be avoided by observing this table if the rule is generating necessary blocks or rule needs an update to avoid the unnecessary block creations and increase the database size.
Top 5 Worst Performing Calc Scripts Commands over 1 Min
This table explains which rules are taking more than a minute time, by observing this rule administrator can improve the application performance with some necessary changes to the rules.
Top 10 Worst Performing Essbase Data Extraction Operations
This table explains which are the data extraction scripts which are taking more time than expected, if the script is extracting unnecessary data than the expected then administrator can change the script as expected and reduce the data extraction time.
Top 10 Worst Performing Essbase Data Load Operations
This tables gives an explanation on the data loads which are taking more time to load the scheduled data.
Top 10 Worst Performing Essbase Restructure Operations
This table explains how much time an Essbase restructure is taking. It is always necessary rethink before doing any changes to dense dimension members like adding, deleting or moving from one hierarchy to another hierarchy, Due to Dense dimension changes then Essbase will take more time for restructuring.
Also, make a note that Essbase restructure will also get impacted by number of data files. More number of data file then restructure is going to take more time, Essbase restructure the blocks in the data file and generates new data file.
Before scheduling Essbase restructure delete the unnecessary data from the application, example if you have different versions/draft of data then delete the unnecessary data which will reduce the application restructure time.
Top 10 Essbase Queries by Total Duration
This table explains which Essbase query is taking more time based on the total duration.
Top 10 Essbase Queries by Execution
This table explains which Essbase query is taking more time based on the execution.
The following existing tables were updated or renamed:
Top 10 Worst Performing Essbase Queries over 15 seconds (updated with additional information)
Top 10 Calc Scripts by Average Duration (previous title: Top 10 Calc Scripts by Duration)
Top 10 Worst Performing Calc Scripts Executions (previous title: Top 10 Calc Scripts by Executions)
Activity Report update - November 2020
In October there was huge addition to Activity report table, in November we have 2 new activity tables in the Activity report.
- To display Generation 2 hierarchy members included in the ASO Cube (Before November update this activity was captured only for BSO cube dimension members).
- Hierarchy type is an important consideration for optimising ASO retrieval performance.
- This update is available only in Planning, Planning modules and Profitability and Cost Management Activity Reports.
Activity report table for the ASO dimension update looks as below:
- To display Last 15 CLEAR BLOCK commands and Last 15 CLEAR DATA commands. This table identifies who initiated clear block and clear data commands, which are the cubes affected and which are scripts executed to clear the blocks and data.
- This report update helps to identify why and when data was cleared from the application.
- This update is available only in Planning, Planning Modules, Consolidation and Close and Tax Reporting applications.
Activity report table for the clear block and data update looks as below: