I have cherry-picked a few of the notable new features for you from the Oracle EPM Cloud, December 2020 Updates. Even though this is early in the month, there is a lot to review.
Here is a smattering of my top picks:
- We have certification for Chrome 85-86 and Chromium Edge 85-86 Browsers.
- We have a new and updated EPM Demo which is available for download and consumption! This capability may be more useful for partners than customers but does work with all the exercises and documentation that Oracle is producing.
- There is now a Rest API call to move files between instances.
- The ability to select members by UDA in the Form designer, in my mind one of the best features coming out this month!
- There is now also Detailed reporting capability for Auto Predict Prediction. A useful enhancement to a “newish” feature.
- Task Lists are now supported in Smartview.
I have put the relevant segments of the Oracle document into the sections below.
Common to EPM
CERTIFICATION FOR CHROME 85-86 AND CHROMIUM EDGE 85-86 BROWSERS
Oracle EPM Cloud now certifies Chrome 85-86 and Chromium Edge 85-86 browsers.
Previously reported issues are now resolved.
NEW SAMPLE APPLICATION
A Sample application is now available on Oracle Cloud Customer Connect on the EPM Planning, Sales Planning, and Strategic Workforce Planning Sample Applications Idea Lab post. The Sample application allows customers to learn more about features using training materials provided by Oracle on a common application. The training materials provide step-by-step instructions on how to use features and examples of use cases to modify the pre-delivered content to meet your specific requirements within the framework of pre-delivered content.
Business Benefit: The Sample application allows customers to use hands-on training exercises provided by Oracle on their own, Test environment. The training materials provide real-world use cases leveraging pre-delivered content, including modifying the pre-delivered content using best practices as recommended by Oracle.
Planning / EPM Cloud
SUPPORT FOR SELECTING DIMENSION MEMBERS BASED ON UDAS IN FORM DESIGNER
When designing forms, administrators can select members for forms based on a common attribute, previously defined as a user-defined attribute (UDA). This feature applies only to Planning, Financial Consolidation and Close, and Tax Reporting.
Before you can associate the UDA with a form, you must create the UDA. To select UDAs for forms, open the form in the form designer, click Layout, and then drag the dimension to the desired Page or row or column axis. Edit the dimension to view the Member Selection window, click Variables, and then expand the UDAs listing to select the UDAs for the form. When a UDA is selected in the form designer, it is preceded by UDA; for example, UDA(New Products).
Business Benefit: When you create forms with UDAs, any members assigned to the UDA are dynamically added to the form. For example, if you create a UDA called New Products and assign this UDA to the new products in the Product dimension hierarchy, the form will automatically display the new products at runtime.
- Selecting UDAs as Members in Administering Planning
NEW DRILL THROUGH OPTIONS WHEN DRILLING TO SOURCE FROM EXCEL IN SMART VIEW
When you drill through to display drill data directly in Smart View, the system now supports two ways to display the source data:
- Drill through to the source landing page using a hyperlink. In this case, when you initiate a source drill, the system launches the source landing page in a browser.
- Drill through to the source data using an EPM Integration Agent query. In this case, the source data is queried, and the data is displayed in a new sheet directly in Smart View.
Look for this feature in the upcoming Oracle Smart View for Office version 20.200, planned to be available in December 2020.
Business Benefit: This new option provides the ability to display drill through directly from Smart View. In earlier releases, drill to source was only available in a Web Form.
STEPS TO ENABLE
To use this feature, you must first execute a SQL query in the source database and display the results in a pop-window inside Data Integration. See Creating a Drill Down to a Source System Without a Landing Page in Administering Data Integration for Oracle Enterprise Performance Management Cloud.
- Drill-Through Reports in Working with Oracle Smart View for Office
- Creating a Drill Down to a Source System Without a Landing Page in Administering Data Integration for Oracle Enterprise Performance Management Cloud.
DETAILED REPORTS FOR AUTO PREDICT PREDICTIONS
Auto Predict prediction result details are now available in a downloadable Excel worksheet format, including more information such as prediction status, the method used, and prediction accuracy.
The detailed report is automatically generated when an Auto Predict job runs and is available in compressed format in the Outbox when the job is complete.
The Excel workbook contains several worksheets:
- Summary—A summary of the prediction, including details about the prediction and POV used.
- Report—A detailed report of the prediction displayed one series at a time using the alias for member names. Includes details such as status, accuracy, prediction method, seasonality, adjusted outliers, error measure, and other prediction statistics.
- Smart View Series Data data access sheet—Data access for the cube used for the prediction using Smart View. Also allows you to perform ad hoc analysis on prediction data. For multiple cube jobs, includes a worksheet for the source cube and a worksheet for the prediction cube.
To review the report from the Auto Predict page:
- From the Home page, click Application, then click Overview, and then from the Actions menu, select Auto Predict.
- On the Auto Predict page, from the Actions menu next to the Auto Predict definition, select Download Report.
To download the report from the Outbox:
- From the Home page, click Application, and then click Overview.
- From the Actions menu, select Inbox/Outbox Explorer.
- Look for AP_JobName.zip and download the file.
Auto Predict Summary Page
Auto Predict Report Page
You can also perform ad hoc analysis on the prediction results using Smart View.
Business Benefit: Allows you to review details about Auto Predict prediction results and validate prediction accuracy. Allows further ad hoc analysis of prediction results, for example, to review results where accuracy is low, or to sort so you can quickly review data such as seasonality by series.
- Reviewing Detailed Reports for Auto Predict Predictions in Administering Planning
TASK LISTS NOW SUPPORTED IN SMART VIEW (MAC AND BROWSER)
Task Lists for Planning are now supported in Oracle Smart View for Office (Mac and Browser).
Task lists guide you through the planning process by listing tasks, instructions, and end dates, helping you to organize, track, and prioritize your workload. For example, a task might help you complete forms, launch business rules, or promote approval units. They can also launch a website or internal company page.
When working with tasks in the Task Lists panel in Smart View, you may:
- Open task lists and individual task
- Open forms related to tasks
- View special task instructions
- Filter tasks
- Execute tasks
- Mark tasks Complete
- Refresh the task list
- Create task list reports based on criteria you specify in an easy-to-use wizard
Service Administrators and Power Users create and manage tasks and task lists.
Business Benefit: With task lists in Smart View (Mac and Browser), you can open and view task lists, execute and complete tasks, and create task list reports.
STEPS TO ENABLE
To use task lists in Smart View (Mac and Browser), Service Administrators must create and deploy a new manifest file with the new "Task List" option selected:
- Create a new manifest file and customize it per your requirements.
- In the "Available menu items" section, Workflow group, ensure that the "Task List" option is selected.
- Deploy the manifest file to Smart View (Mac and Browser) users.
- Deploying and Administering Oracle Smart View for Office (Mac and Browser):
- Task Lists in Working with Oracle Smart View for Office (Mac and Browser)
- Administering Task Lists in Administering Planning
- Do you need help maximizing the performance or the support of your Oracle EPM applications? Why not take a look at our Managed Services Capability.
- Are you considering moving your on-premises Oracle EPM applications to the cloud? Visit our Cloud Migration Hub for insights and advice.